Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Moth Boats under construction up in Maine.

Cottrell Boat Building up in Searsport Maine is currently building a pair of Mint-design Moths for a customer who saw some photos of my Bill Lee-designed and built Moth Boat Mint.   The other day Dale's wife Lynn sent me a few "in progress" photos of one of the hulls.  I think you'll agree with me when I say that Dale and son Seth are doing a wonderful job of recreating the lines of Bill's original design.  This is especially true considering that all they have to go on are a few basic dimensions and those photos.

Love that swooping Bill Lee shear line.


Nicely fabricated transom knee.

Fair curves.

Detail photo showing how to clamp a deck frame against the under side of the inwhale  without damaging the wood while the glues dries.

The transom shape is a bit different from Mint (compare with the photo of the original boat as seen in the link to my earlier post) but is pleasing to the eye none the less.

Fabrication of the centerboard trunk.
Lynn Cottrell promises more photos as the boats progress.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment